Monday, September 14, 2020

Safe Travels, Safe Return

 


Safe Travels, Safe Return (mp3) (pdf)

Today's tune began back in 2017 but was left unfinished. Last week I spent some more time with it and, now, here it is. I like the major to minor bit at the start and in general how the tune wanders around. I realize that a certain percentage of excellent musicians will be put off by the half-diminished (minor 7, flat 5) chord in the A section. If it helps, you can think about it as an A9 chord with a C# in the bass. I also know this is two waltzes in a row. I'll try and not make it three next time.

The photo comes from my window on the Capitol Limited while going through the mountains on my way to D.C. on Feb. 28 of this year. Contratopia was able to have one final weekend of fun playing for dancers just before we began to realize that we probably wouldn't be playing together again anytime soon. Our travels, and returns, were safe and I'm looking forward to another train ride in better times.



No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.