Sunday, February 21, 2021

Partially Covered

 

Partially Covered (mp3) (pdf)

Blevins' March (mp3) (pdf)

The Wedding Broom (mp3) (pdf)

Today's new tune was written shortly after a trip to La Crosse, WI a couple of weeks ago. Don't try this at home, it was not the smartest move, but we managed to stay out of the ditches and returned home safely. 

There's actually a much longer story about the genesis of the tune but I won't get into that today. I'll just say that I was inspired by a recent tune written by an old friend that is a model of elegance and simplicity. I think my tune captures some of the simplicity but I'm not sure how much elegance I managed. Still, I like it fine and it's fun to play.

I didn't create any harmony parts for this one but I did record it in multiple octaves using my recently acquired Peter Coombe Classical Flattop mandolin, my main old Gibson mandolin, and a nice, recent Taylor guitar. Hope you enjoy it.

On a more somber note, we have had several deaths recently involving treasured members of the local community. One of those was the wonderful Mike Blevins. You can read my comments on Mike in my earlier post that followed a benefit concert that I was honored to be a part of back in 2018. The tune "Blevins' March" was written for Erik Sessions and myself to play at MikeFest and it still gets played pretty often.

Continuing with tunes from the early years of this blog I am resurrecting "The Wedding Broom" from February 18, 2007. Still one of my favorite tunes and I really like this simple recording. Now, as then, we are awaiting new snow here today and the song of the snow blowers will ring out loud and clear later this afternoon.

Hang in there ...

 

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.