Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Emma the Baker and Little Bread

 


Emma the Baker - Little Bread (mp3) (pdf)

Today's tunes are the result of a commission by some good friends, Bill Deutsch and Martha Davis, who asked me to write a couple of tunes as a Christmas gift for their fiddler daughter, Emma. Bill was one of the first musicians I met when we moved to Decorah over 25 years ago and we have played together, off and on, in several groups and settings over the years. Martha was my colleague when I worked at Luther College's Preus Library.

Emma has grown from a talented young fiddler into an excellent player in that time and now lives in Germany where she is a professional baker and an active musician. Among other things, she is the long time fiddler with the popular Irish music band Paddy's Last Order (paddyslastorder.de). So today I can share the demo I made of "Emma the Baker" and "Little Bread." Many thanks to Bill and Martha for bringing these tunes to life!

The end of the year is upon us but I hope to add one more post on New Year's Eve. I hope you enjoy these tunes and that you give them a try on your instrument as well.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello John,
I was so honored to have 2 tunes written for me and they are excellent! I enjoy minor key tunes and love the fingerings. Thank you for such great music!
Greetings from Germany, Emma :)

John said...

Hi Emma, thanks for the kind comments. I really had fun writing these tunes and I'm so glad that you like them. What a great idea your parents had to commission these for you. Keep playing the good notes! - John

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.