Sunday, October 25, 2020

Harpers Ferry Station

 


Harpers Ferry Station (mp3) (pdf) (pdf harmony)

There are many lovely, professional photos available online of the picturesque train station at Harpers Ferry, West Virginia. The photo above is not one of those. I took this photo on March 2, 2020 from my roomette window (or maybe from the observation car) while riding the Amtrak Capitol Limited, returning to Iowa after a great weekend playing music in the Washington DC area with my Contratopia friends. Passing through Harpers Ferry is always one of the highlights of the Capitol Limited trip because of the panoramic views you see as the train crosses the confluence of the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers.

(You can see a few photos from our visit to Glen Echo Park at this post on our Contratopia blog.)

You may recall that the first weekend in March came shortly before the world of all performing musicians was turned upside down. Now it's nearly November and there is still no clear path forward on the horizon. This train trip seems somehow more significant than it should.

The tune that I'm presenting here today was actually written in 2013 as part of a larger piece that I composed for Louisville Mandolin Orchestra in recognition of the LMO's 25th anniversary. As an original member of the group I was honored that they would commission a piece from me and I titled it "Schroeder's Idea" in recognition of Mike Schroeder who founded the orchestra back in 1988.

I remember as I was writing the middle section that features this tune thinking that it would be a fine, stand alone waltz. I made a mental note to come back and extract it some day. That note popped up again in my aging memory this week and I finally retrieved the tune and turned it into a simple dance piece with the title "Harpers Ferry Station." It appears in the key of F sharp minor in "Schroeder's Idea" but I've cast in E minor here. I hope you'll enjoy it.

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.